Notes on Breaking the Streak

My sincerest apologies for missing yesterday's entry. Things got ahead of me and I fell behind. 

The good news is that I did feel a pang of regret just before falling to sleep (well, just before checking Twitter, god help me), and I did have a brief inclination to jump out of bed and throw a few paragraphs together. Unfortunately, it was not enough to compel direct action. I wasted what little window I had reading part of a crappy novel and scrolling through shrieks on social media. It was not meant to be, as a voice in my head just decided to say. 

So, my writing streak came to a close, following 8 days of adherence to something totally made up and hanging ever-loosely by the threadbearest of threads. I experienced the standard guilt but returned with hands full of gusto and eyes for the screen, ready to dive in and barrel through and come up with something, anything, that could possibly make up for my most egregious indiscretion and sin against man and god and the ghosts of my past. 

It has yet to come. I will say that I barely checked the news today. I took a brief stroll through a news chart curated by Microsoft, designed to match brainwaves, elicit feelings and clicks and ultimately waste what little time I have during these mind-numbing days of days oh daze aways away.

Wait, what?

By now, I'm sure the Congress has passed some type of Rules analog that faintly resembles Caesar's first post-Rubicon-crossing decree, or something. I'm sure the crazies are now all set to deliver commanding committee leadership and drive us all (maybe the country, too?) to Heaven and beyond, saving us from liberal ineptitude while bringing us ever closer to god's eyes and ears and nose and throat. Gosh, I can't wait to scroll the news aggregate and Tweeter for some spicy dishing on today's paradigm-shifting move toward a freer and juster and more religiouser America for white Christians and various bigots 'cross the land. 

Oh, what a party it will be.

I have to note that while the next two years promises no end of entertainment and general hi-jinks at some of the highest levels of government, I'm fairly confident that none of it will bode particularly well for the plebes or rubes or, anybody, really. Well, except for those that chaos benefits, which is generally the rich and ruling and anyone else who chooses to wield influence toward nefarious ends. Stalled government + drama tends to distract more than disrupt, allowing swine to keep swining without the watchful eye of Brother holding their feet to the fire. 

That's one thing (among many, many things) the Redhatters don't understand, despite ample, highly visible evidence almost everywhere you look. Chaos may be entertaining, but it serves no one but itself. Even the Archest of Eyebrows won't escape with their arches intact. They stirred the pot, sure, but the pot usually spills over and scalds them at some point. At some point. At some point. At some point. 

It wasn't exactly a clear metaphor. But I think I got close. 

And after stating that I was going to designate a focus and write around and through a clear idea, I did the opposite. I meandered all over the map. Epic fail. Another goal, unachieved. 

Well, I guess there's always tomorrow. 

Til Tomorrow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rejoining Corporate America

Notes on Writing: What's So Special About Counsels, Anyway?

Anti-Social Media and the Art of Burning Bridges